Monday, December 20, 2010

My belt is stretching.

This thought may not be the most logical one I've had lately, but just the same, I find I have it quite a lot.  When I got down from around 190 to about 175, I bought myself a new belt.  Now according to this belt, I've lost at least 3-4 inches around my waist since its purchase.  It seems like nearly every time I put the belt on I'm able to pull it a smidge tighter.  And my automatic thought every time this happens?  Wow, I'm really stretching this belt out.

Cuz that's the thing with weight loss.  It's hard to internalize the change happening to you.  It's hard to really believe, for example, that I went from someone who was considered "Obese" (Sorry, I still have a hard time with that word), to someone who is, as of this morning, a mere 1.6 pounds overweight.  (Oh right, today also marks the end of the weight loss posting hiatus, and this morning's weight in was 156.6, in case anyone is curious).  It's sort of like, it looks great on paper, or on the scale, as it were, but it's hard to actually change one's picture of herself in any real way.  Throwing my jeans back in the dryer to get that same "shrink-effect" I'm used to, complaining about bagged-out sweaters, and a stretching belt are easier ways for my brain to explain any change.

But of course, I'm cool with that.  My brain make take convincing, but the facts don't lie.  I'm still overweight, but hopefully by the end of the week, I won't be able to say that anymore.  I'm still above my goal weight by about 15-20 pounds, but that's peanuts compared to the 50+ pounds I was staring down the barrel of only a few months back.  I have by no means finished the journey, but despite how I may feel about it, I KNOW that good things are happening.  And that, in itself, is worth all the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...