Thursday, January 2, 2014

It is 3:34am and my son is very lucky that he is cute.

These days, I've been enjoying a lot of middle of the night fun-tivities. These have primarily consisted of eating my weight in Christmasy junk food, watching innumerable hours worth of 80's  television, and entertaining a tiny human who hasn't yet learned that the night time is best for sleeping.

Unfortunately, it's time for a change.  And unfortunately, it's not the kind of change where I get to sleep a reasonable number of hours and rejoin the functioning human race.  Nope.  Basically, it's just time to cut out the fun stuff.

Eating is fun.  Don't judge me, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks so.  And when I'm frustrated that I'm forced into wakefulness at 2:45am, making a giant cup of hot chocolate, or working my way through a bottomless stack of Christmas cookies, well, it takes the edge off.  It helps me pretend that I'm not awake against my will, not on the verge of an exhaustion endured emotional breakdown.  I'm just awake.  Awake, and sneaking junk food I don't have to share with my family.

Tomorrow, no, crap, toDAY, is January 2nd.  TODAY is the day that we've been planning on for the past 9 months or so.  TODAY is the day that the new weight loss journey, the one I'd like to call the LAST weight loss journey, gets started.  And after 9 months of growing a human, followed by 5 weeks of holiday celebrations and middle of the night candy-gorging, it's going to be a doozy.

The first obstacle I've got to overcome in this new journey was presented early.  Like, less than 3 hours after midnight on day one kind of early.  Obstacle One: what the heck am I going to do in the middle of the  night that doesn't fulfill my daily calorie budget before my first official meal is consumed?!?  In other words, I need to figure out what the heck I'm going to do with myself at 3 am when I'm exhausted and hungry and probably feeling loads of sorry for myself.

Tonight, I prepared the morning's coffee, picked up the living room a bit, helped my son recover from a nasty case of the hiccups, and then found my way onto the internet.  Also, I'm watching one of my favorite romantic comedies from high school, and wow it's kind of terrible.  But since it's not the "forever on the thighs" kind of terrible, we still get to call it an official Good Life Choice.

Alright.  The kid has nodded off, so it's time for me to go enjoy my bed for another 2 (but hopefully 3 or 5 or 10) hours.  I've sure as heck got a big, self-discipline-y sort of day ahead of me!

Of course, it really might make more sense to start a diet on a Monday...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...