Monday, March 14, 2011

Running is hard.

But also, fwickin awesome. I've been a bit discouraged about being, quite possibly, the slowest runner (or the fastest walker) on the face of the planet. When I started up a few weeks ago, my average speed was over 11 minutes per mile. And no, I never stopped in the middle to take a nap. I was just that slow.

Currently, I'm still running as fast and as hard as I can, and I'm still well over a 10 minute mile. (Last two 5k runs were done at an average of 10'17" per mile) I have a tendency to look at my husband who, though he hasn't really run much at all since high school, can still run circles around me, and my sister-in-law who runs frequently, and has a pace of like, 3 milliseconds per mile. It's simply incredible. But also, these facts feel disheartening. I've been really feeling my running limits lately. I'd come to the conclusion that I may develop the ability to run far, but that I'd never be able to run fast.

I mentioned my far-not-fast thought to my mom the other day, and she scoffed me a bit. "Seriously Ashley, a few months ago would you have ever thought you could do what you're doing now? So what makes you think you won't do even better??"

So last night, I really sat down and perused my run data. 22 days ago, I ran a 5k with an average pace of 11'38" per mile, and said I felt like death. This past Friday, (only 19 days since starting out) I ran a 10k at an average pace of 10'54" per mile. 2 weeks ago I was killing myself to get below 10'30", and my Sat/Sun 5k's this week were run at around 10'17".

So I guess what I'm saying is that, in a mere 3 weeks, I've got over a minute off my run time. And my goal pace (about 9'45") for the actual 5k race I intend to run in late April, is something I'm occasionally reaching AND surpassing for short bursts while I run. (Not too long ago, my "run real fast now" moments weren't even getting down anywhere near 10'00".)

Improvement frequently feels impossible. There was a time that I never thought I'd be able to get down to my current weight, and now, well, I have no intention of stopping here. So I'm also going to keep running, because the farther I go, the more I'm able to leave Chubby Girl behind. That's right Chubby Girl, eat my dust. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I totally hear you about the running. It can be discouraging when it's still difficult after all this time. I hate it sometimes, most of the time, it's hard (although I love when I'm finished with a good workout and have accomplished what I didn't think I could!). But, when I look back at the beginning of the running program I'm doing, I've come a long way (as has the dog, who is forced to run with me). And, I no longer can only think about how much I hate running during the running portion (I'm doing the "Beginners Running Program 3" http://www.best-running-tips.com/beginners-running-program3.html). :) Keep up the good work! (I know you will, just wanted to add some positive words.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link! I'll have to check that out. Keep it up, hope you're having some fun with it!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...